Mark D. DeMoss is Senior Pastor of Capitol Hill Baptist Church. Pastor Mark and his family joined the staff in July of 2006. Pastor Mark has been in ministry since 1988. His previous experience includes youth and college ministry in Texas and Oklahoma, as well as being the Senior Pastor at churches in Tuttle and Bartlesville, Oklahoma.
Pastor Mark earned a Bachelor’s Degree from the University of Oklahoma in Business Administration, in 1991, and a Master of Divinity with Biblical Languages Degree from Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, in 1998. His wife, Susan, faithfully ministers in the church as a Sunday School Teacher, AWANA Director, and a volunteer in missions, prayer, and outreach ministries. Susan, earned her Doctor of Philosophy degree from the University of Oklahoma, and currently serves as a Professional Educator and Administrator for Christian Heritage Academy, in Del City, Oklahoma. Pastor Mark and Susan have two children, Noah and Hannah.
Ø Hobbies: Mostly whatever the children want to do. Reading. Hopefully Golf or Tennis again someday!
Ø Favorite Book of the Bible: 1 Timothy for the insights of the seasoned apostle to a young elder; Romans for the theology.
Ø Favorite Bible Character: The Apostle Paul (He thought little of himself, and much of Christ. He was passionate for the purity of the Gospel and the Church.)
Ø Favorite Bible Verse:
· My life verse: Galatians 2:20 (NASB) 20“I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.
· My Call to Ministry: Isaiah 42:6 (NASB) 6“I am the LORD, I have called you in righteousness, I will also hold you by the hand and watch over you, and I will appoint you as a covenant to the people, as a light to the nations,
· My Daily Passion: 2 Timothy 4:1 - 2 (NASB) 1I solemnly charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by His appearing and His kingdom: 2preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction.
Ø Favorite Books: Most of my reading is in commentaries, but difference makers have included: Spiritual Leadership by J. Oswald Sanders; Great Lives from God’s Word series by Charles, Swindoll; Desiring God, by John Piper; On Being a Pastor by Derek Prime and Alistair Begg; Brothers We Are Not Professionals by John Piper; Nine Marks of a Healthy Church, by Mark Dever; Knowing God, by J.I. Packer; Think Biblically, by John MacArthur; Raising a Modern Day Knight by Robert Lewis; The Greatest Generation by Tom Brokaw; Safe in the Arms of God, by John MacArthur
Ø Favorite Vacation Spot: Before children – Naples, Florida, since children – Disney World!
Ø Favorite Meal: Steak, baked potato, sweet tea, and cheese cake
Ø Favorite Ice Cream: Coffee with Heath bar
Ø If the staff ran a 100 yard dash, who would win and why?: Cheryl would win because Pastor Scott, Pastor Shane and I would be discussing the theological implications of whether or not we should run, and if there is any biblical precedent for pastor’s running races. Cheryl would just say “let’s do it and keep it simple!”
Ø What kind of car do you think best represents the other ministry staff and why?
· Pastor Scott: VW Van – just because he grew up in the sixties and he is from California
· Pastor Shane: Honda Accord with a gun rack – because he is a little bit city and a little bit country.
· Mrs. Cheryl: Hummer – because it says, “don’t mess with me” in a friendly sort of way.